VMware Horizon Workspace 1.5 GA has been announced!
Posted on 01 Aug 2013 by Ray Heffer
Less than 24 hours ago VMware announced Horizon Workspace 1.5 which further boosts the End-User Computing technology stack. You’ll hear a lot of talk around ‘mobile’, which I’ll talk about in a moment, but I’m actually more excited about how Horizon Workspace compliments View with a self-service application portal, automated delivery for your SaaS and ThinApp applications, and Horizon Data. Sure these features were part of Horizon Workspace 1.0, but with support for Oracle this brings the technology even closer to the enterprise. Let’s have a look at some of the new features of Horizon Workspace 1.5
- Management interface for VMware Ready Android devices (including the Samsung Galaxy S3 & S4 from Verizon Wireless).
- Oracle support (including Oracle RAC).
- New policy management engine, including a policy preview and further flexibility.
- Localized language support for: French, German, Japanese and simplified Chinese.
- Numerous bug fixes which improve stability and performance.
We all live in the mobile world now and iOS 7 is eagerly anticipated by many consumers and business users alike. I was excited to get my Nexus 4 upgrade to Android Jelly Bean 4.3 last week, but will be looking closely at iOS 7 due to the impact it will have on enterprise users. Srinivas Krishnamurti has just posted a blog article on the strategy VMware are taking with iOS 7. With the new capabilities the iPhone will have for the enterprise, future versions of Horizon Workspace will utilize the iOS 7 Mobile Device Management (MDM) APIs.